My Photo
Name:
Location: Natick, MA, United States

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Day 5

1st Jan, Sunday

Got up by 12 noon and set to go by 1:00 pm. Due tyo common consensus, we had our lunch again at that wonderful small town of Williams. And in the same place, Pizza Factory. Now we were back to I-40. Let me tell you some significance of I-40 now as I was studying the same thing sitting in the car. I-40 was earlier called route 66. http://www.route66.com/ . It is the highway which connects Chicago to LA and thus it was the heart of the so called westward dream of the eastern people way back in the 50’s. That’s what makes it so special. Later government scraped that name and it was I-40. But later in 90’s they capitalized on it as a tourist attraction. So we have route 66 restaurants, motels all along the way and that’s why above mentioned Hotel El Rancho was so famous. There is also Philips 66 gas stations all through the way.
At around 5 pm, we reached meteor crater, world’s first and I think only proven crater. http://www.meteorcrater.com/ . The rest are still doubtful. It is huge and the adjoining museum is awesome. Well, actually the museum was though pretty hi-fi, the thing that attracted me the most was that all the equipments were working unlike the science centers in Nagpur, Calcutta and Bangalore which I have seen.
We traveled till 12 and finally reached city of lakes Santa Rosa in New Mexico for night halt. We meanwhile had dinner in the biggest city of NM - Albuquerque where we got lost too.
It was another motel6 but surely it wasn’t the bathrooms which we rented here. By this time we were as tired as you are now to have read so far. So we ditched the plan of going to Rosswell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home