My Photo
Name:
Location: Natick, MA, United States

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Day 6

2nd Jan, Monday

The last day, finally, for the first time I felt that college station was my home and was craving to reach there. But first we went to explore the lakes of the city of lakes – Santa Rosa. Well what we discovered that if Santa Rosa is city of lakes then even Nagpur is. They counted even the puddles. Mind you, the pictures of the lake have come excellent but pictures can be misleading. And it does not mean that we were disappointed. The laugh we had, I guess would even have put Caspian sea to shame.
We went to a restaurant: Route 66 restaurant. The ambience was wonderful. They gave a historical look to it. Well to have anything look historical, they just have to put a Marilyn Monroe and an Elvis Presley. But that was enough for me, as I am a fan of both of them. We ordered plain egg sandwich which came with complimentary chips and onion rings as side dish. I had also ordered tuna salad which was just awesome.
Now we were out of I-40 and route 66 and continued on highway 84 till Waco. (Just 1 hour from college station.) The scenery was so stationary that even a speed of 70 mph was feeling like 10 mph. Absolutely flat landscape with occasional horses in ranches. By this time we had learnt all the songs which we had brought. I was tired of listening to “toota toota ek parina aise toota” and even to the very funny accent for “thandi thandi pawan” by lata dadi in DDLJ song, “mere khwabon”.
We took a dinner break at 9 at a ghostly town of coleman. It was a pizza hut and the waitress, a 80 year old granma took out even the last remaining drop of energy from us by asking us all the typical American to Indian questions like “will you go back to India”, “ Do you have cows on the roads”, “how wonderful is it to see the snake charmers”, “ will you take me to India and show me elephants” and the most intellectual they could think “ what is the significance of bindi”. Well I frankly wanted to tell them, India rather Bangalore is more USofied than even the US.
Finally at two I was back at 122 cherry hollow but not before two more rounds of “thandi thandi” pawan.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deepak Krishnan said...

nice one man...

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home